Screamin Coupons- All of Our Readers who Sign Up Through Us Get a $5 Sign Up Credit!

Strawberries, Strawberries and more Strawberries!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 |
I can't believe how low the prices of strawberries have been! My family and I have tired so many recipes with strawberries these last 2 weeks my kids lips are probably stained red! We have made strawberry jam, pie, syrup, pancakes, salad dressing and more. One thing that I have learned is that when an item is on sale...stock up, and it is no different with my produce.

If I can get my produce to stretch I definitely will. I recently bought about 8 containers of strawberries for .98 a container so I could freeze them and use them for the next 6 months or so. Frozen strawberries make great smoothies and you can slowly defrost them in the fridge to use for strawberry shortcake or in jello salad!

To freeze strawberries all you need to do is wash the strawberry and cut off the green leaves and stems. Make sure you get all the green off, or it could effect the taste of the strawberry. Leave the strawberries whole and let them dry off a little.

Then I use a flash freezing method by taking the strawberries and putting them on a cookie sheet and freezing them in the freezer for a few hours. By flash freezing my berries it prevents them from clumping up into a giant frozen mess.After that I take the strawberries and put them into my food saver bags or you could use Ziploc bags.

Awww, they look so pretty! Now I have strawberries to last me a good 6 months!

Of course, be sure to take advantage of having fresh strawberries too!
Here is my recipe for chocolate covered strawberries:

Well I guess this can't be considered a recipe =) Melt chocolate and dip strawberries! Let dry and enjoy! Simple enough right!


And here is my recipe for strawberry pie! I am not a fabulous cook, but I will tell you this strawberry pie recipe is really good! My pie is requested to make an appearance at many parties this time of year.


  • 1 nine-inch pie crust (I like to use the frozen ones. I poke holes in it and bake it at 400 degrees for about 10 min.)
  • 2-3 cups of cleaned strawberries with tops cut off (I like mine to be cut in half, but you could use them whole too)
  • 1 3-oz package of strawberry Jell-o
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 TBS cornstarch
  • 2 cups boiling water

In a bowl mix your sugar, dry jello mix and cornstarch. In a saucepan boil your water. Add your dry mix and cook until thick. Pour the glaze over berries and stir until coated. Take a measuring cup and add in your strawberries and jello glaze. Let your pit sit in the fridge for a few hours and then serve with whipped cream. Yummy!

And don't forget to check out our strawberry freezer jam recipe from last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home